Thursday 21 April 2011

The Age-Old Question: Boy or Girl?

Clearly it’s far too early to be thinking about this already – and it feels like an eternity before I will actually be able to find out.  But I am willing to hedge my bets that nearly every mother thinks about it.  Is it going to be a boy or a girl?  I know the obvious and most PC answer is: doesn’t matter as long as it’s healthy.  I know this – we don’t have to say it and pretend that it makes us better people – because despite many parents not minding what sex their child is, there are some who just simply have a preference. 

Honestly though, I hope my mindset will change.  I have had so long to think about this day that I seem to have twisted myself around the idea of having a girl.  I would go as far as to say that I’m not even content with the idea of ‘eventually’ having a girl, say, if this one turns out to be a boy – because a sick part of me panics and thinks: What if they keep turning out to be boys?

Why is it such a big deal?  Truthfully I don’t know.  I keep reminding myself that no matter what sex it is, I will still love it all the same, it will still be my beautiful child and nothing will change that.  But some part of me is desperate for a little girl.  Perhaps it is because there are so many little boys born to family and friends I know lately, or maybe because I’m immature and love the idea of dressing her up and playing tea party with her – that would be a totally shit reason to want a girl so badly.  I just don’t know what is driving this intense desire.  Every time I think about it, I feel a mixture of anxiety, guilt and frustration.  I’m anxious about how thinking like this will or won’t affect me as a person and as a mother, I feel guilty because I’d never want my little boy to know I wanted a little girl, and I feel frustrated because it’s still so long before I even find out for sure. 

I’m being ungrateful, I know.  How badly some people would love to even be able to have children, regardless of what sex they are.  And here I am, moaning about something I have yet to even find out.  It grosses me out too, trust me.  But I’m finding it difficult to imagine how I’d feel in the 20th Week when I see the scan – how will I feel if the midwife tells me it’s a boy?  And am I just over thinking this?  In fact, will it be any different if she tells me it’s a girl?  Or am I just focusing too much on something that’s largely unimportant, and warping it in the process? 

I really hope that over the coming months, my maternal hormones will kick in, and I’ll feel such a bond with the baby that it won’t matter come Week 20.  Fingers crossed. 

 

In other news, my first midwife appointment is on May 12th and I got the hospital I wanted :)

Aaaannnd my sister bought me a really beautiful Baby Record Scrap Book!!  SQUEEEE!!!

   

Technorati Tags: ,,

No comments:

Post a Comment